Kann nich Motor starten (E46, 2002)

• Guten Tag!

Ich entschuldige mich fuer nicht gut Deutsch. Ich versuche das Problem erklaeren:
    Ich have E46 (chassis num. FZ49505). Vor 2 Monaten habe ich das gesehen. Wann Ich was gefahren, Motor konnte stopped selbst and dann weiter selbst starten). Das dauerte nur 1 sekunde und es gab rote licht "batterie" am diesen Moment. Das war sehr nicht oft (zweimal pro Monat).

Vor 2 Wochen: Ich war mein Auto gefahren (10min), dann kleine Pause ( 2min) gemacht (motor aus). Dann konnte Ich nicht mehr motor starten. Ich konnte hoeren dass Starter konnte Motor drehen, aber keine Resultaet. I habe BMW Mobile angerufen, sie waren gekommen. Endlich wurde mein Auto zum Garage genommen.

Sie dachten das es gabt Problem with Pumpe. Sie haben neu installerienen, aber kein Resultat. Dann sie haben gefunden dass gabt es keine Singal von Steuregeraet zum Pumpe. Sie haben desagt, man muss neu Steuergerate kaufen. Eine Woche spaeter haben sie neue box installieren. Keine Problem mehr. Ich bin 2min gefahren and mein Auto kam nich mehr. Die gleiche Problem: kann nicht mehr Motor starten.

Seit 3 Tagen suchen Sie das Problem. Sie konnten Motor 3 Studen in Garage laufen lassen - kein Problem. Sie konnten selbst Auto fahren fuer 30mins - kein Problem. Und dann koennte nicht mehr noch einmal starten.

Was denken Sie? Garage is offziel BMW garage. Aber sehe Ich, dass Master hat keine Idee was jetz machen.

Danke Schoen!

Slava

• I guess that you speak english better than german, thats why I try to answer in english. Unfortunately I am not sure about your problem, but maybe you should change the garage.

The problem of the official bmw garage (your bmw dealer maybe) is that they always think what the problem could be. But thinking is NOT knowing, you see what I mean? They want to earn money, thats why they change parts which COULD cause the malfunction.

Your Battery is okay? Maybe a loose connection from the Battery?

Hope you can find a solution...let us know!

Fehlerspeicher auslesen für Forenmitglieder, markenunabhängig im Bereich 5146X,

• yes, I do prefer English but I was not sure whether I am allowed to use it on this forum.
    I dont think it is the battery, since BMW Mobile Service even tried external battery to start the car. Plus, if the starter is working (ie. rotating the engine) -> the wiring from battery is ok. Otherwise it would not be electricity for feed the starter

I called BMW CustomerCare in Munich already. They asked me to write the letter, so did I. The garage might be not good. If somebody knows a good one around/in Zurich, I would appreciate this info

thank you!
    Slava

• Zitat

Original von RiMKa
    yes, I do prefer English but I waThe garage might be not good. If somebody knows a good one around/in Zurich, I would appreciate this info

thank you!
    Slava

Feel free to ask our mod Houbi. Im sure he can help you with this question.

Good luck with your problem!

Greets
    Marco

• Zitat

Original von RiMKa
    yes, I do prefer English but I was not sure whether I am allowed to use it on this forum.
    I dont think it is the battery, since BMW Mobile Service even tried external battery to start the car. Plus, if the starter is working (ie. rotating the engine) -> the wiring from battery is ok. Otherwise it would not be electricity for feed the starter

I called BMW CustomerCare in Munich already. They asked me to write the letter, so did I. The garage might be not good. If somebody knows a good one around/in Zurich, I would appreciate this info

thank you!
    Slava

Hmm, I dont know either if we are allowed to speak english instead of german, but most people in Germany will unterstand english instead of french people for example, but thats off topic.

Its easier for me to understand your problem when you write english. Your german is quite good, but explaining a difficult problem in a difficult language likes german causes that people might misunderstand you.

I am afraid to say, but as I am from Germany/Cologne I dont know any reliable dealer in Zurich :D

With the battery cable I meant a loose/bad connection, not a disconnected cable. But I guess you have checked this already.

Maybe a fuel soaked spark plug, or the spark plug itself? Can you ensure that your fuel pump is working when u start up your engine? Can u make a picture of your spark plugs, so that we can make sure they are fine?!

Maybe a marten visited your car? When did this problem occur the first time?

GreeZ
    Dirk

• BMW Bickel Auto AG

Ask Houbi330i for more informations

great regards

• Thank you guys for your help and posts!

Garage had suspected fuel pump as first reason. It was replaced by a new one, but the problem was existing: so they put an old one back. Afterwards they said: there is no signal coming from engine control unit (I guess it is motor steuerergerat in German) to fuel pump. They replaced this one (very expensive box I have to say) and asked me to pay in garage (no bills - cash or credit card). 2mins later after driving my car stopped with the same thing: I could not start engine while started was rotating motor without a problem. They took it back into garage. Last week they called saying "we found a problem! it is old firmware in new contol unit, we updated and it is ok now" When I went to pick it up, they said "it is not working again"

I do suspect these crazy animals. I have been told it is very difficult to find the actual wire damaged though. Is there an easy way to find whether my control unit is working actually? no signal could mean just damaged wiring I guess? I payed 1500 SFR (control unit part) plus a work, but the problem stil exist. I have a feeling that it was not control unit cause

Thank you for the garage you had mentioned. I will use it if I dont get help from BMW CustomerCare this week (I complained to them already about the service I got): they said that it takes about 3-4 days to react on this case

thanks again! good forum and nice people - I guess to have to improve my German :)

Slava

• No problem for this help, thats why this page exists.

Back to your problem:
    You see what I mean, they change (expensive) parts for nothing, only for the reason they THINK it could be the suspicious device.

Your problem is really strange because your car suddenly stopps. From this distance its hard to make a reliable diagnosis. Do you have a protocol of the fault recorder? I hope you know what I mena, I am not sure if this is the right translation for "Fehlerspeicher". What I mean is that you can connect your car with a computer. Then you can see all the faults which occured during the last time. Maybe you can find an indication...

Can you repair your car on your own? I guess not... ;))

With the marten, I think it is just a possibility you should think about. Just take a look in the engine compartment and watch out for any traces of this cute but annoying animal.
    Your error which occurs as a random failure might be a short circuit...you should have a look at the fault recorder which I told you about at the beginning. Then you should post it here or send me to my email...

Dont worry about your German, its good enough.